Thursday, September 18, 2008

Chutney Masala

One of my favorite nights of the year is when the volleyball team I coach plays Sleepy Hollow because it is the only game I can get my wife to to attend. I'm sure the only reason she attends is because it gives her a chance to work to some neurotic hour without my condemnation and because we go out for a midweek dinner. This year we decided to try the new Indian place in Irvington, Chutney Masala.

Located over the train tracks in the building that formerly housed Flirt, Chutney Masala finds itself in good company with One across the street and The Red Hat a short stroll away. There is something about a properly proportioned bistro that I like more than any other dining room. I immediately felt comfortable in Chutney Masala. While I would assume Chrisse would find the room cold, she agreed with my assessment. The brick walls, square wood tables, and well placed photography create an atmosphere that is both refined and meant for food and drink. The only aspect of the room I did not like was the backless seat I was originally seated in. I didn't think I needed a back, but before I'd finished my cocktail I opted out and asked to switch to a full chair.

Making the meal more fun was being greeted by two former students in the roles of hostess and waitress. After shortly catching up we ordered drinks and I felt a little naughty for imbibing on a school night.

Since it was a week night, we split one appetizer, the lamb samosa. The samosa is one of Chrissie's favorites and since we usually order a plate, it allows us a starting point for comparison. The shell was flaky and thicker than most we have tried, but what separated this samosa from the others was the sublime filling. The spices in the lamb married for a balanced delight. We were thouroughly impressed and eager to try the main courses.

Chrissie orded the keema matar masala, a chopped lamb dish with peas. Like the filling of the samosa, the lamb was wonderful and exotic, but in no way inaccesible for anyone who enjoys flavors. I had the Goan shrimp, a slightly spicy dish in a traditional curry. The dish started with a decent amount of heat that I amped up by eating some of the whole chiles it contained. The flavor profile was rounded out by a small handful of bay leaves.

We both agreed that it was some of the best Indian food we have tried. Of greater interest is the menu itself. It seems the typical Indian restaurant manages its menu in the mix and match fashion. Chutney Masala has a menu that offers the instantly recognizable, but it also includes choices for the more adventurous or for those better versed in Indian cuisine.

Highs-
  • Some of the best flavor profiles we've experienced in indian food
  • Progressive menu
  • Great space in a fabulous building overlooking the Hudson
  • Ample parking
  • The thin flat bread served at the start of meal comes in little rounds like a chip. I'm not entirely sure why, but I found it so much more appeaing than the larger pieces you must break.
Lows-
  • I don't want anyone to feel like I'm losing my objectivity, but the only issue I had the entire night was the ottoman styled chair I originally sat at. I could imagine that being more of a problem on the weekend when the room is crowded and it is not as easy to switch chairs
Will we go back? In a heart beat. We really like the idea of an Indian restaurant that presents itself as a bistro and not a lunch trap for those who are sick of the deli and the Chinese restaurant. The food was fantastic, I completely approve of the design and menu philosophies, and they were wise enough to employ one of my all time favorite students.

Chutney Masala is located at:
4 West Main Street
Irvington, New York 10533

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good spot! I definitely must make my way there. I love good Indian food!

Anonymous said...

It seems you got paid for praising so much i have been to this place and let me be honest food was okay but service is not up to the mark no water in time, food was too late, no bussboy to clean table's, our waitress who sounds to be russian dont have any knowledge of food and she sound kind of rude. If you think its good place then this makes me feel strange... Try to be honest...

James Groven said...

I don't get paid for any of this, unless you count the $11 I have banked from google ads. Unfortunately I can't collect that until I have $100. That said, I have no problem with anyone posting a contrary experience. In fact, I wish more people would post about their dinners. My goal is to create a community of like minded Westchester diners. I do take issue with the poster being an a-hole.

I am sorry you had a bad experience. I wonder if it was an off night or an indication of problems? I don't know. I've been too busy with my volleyball team who are playing in sectionals this weekend.

Anyone been to Chutney Masala recently? Is our poster who thinks I do this for more than the love of food and the written word correct? Post your findings if you have any feedback.

Anonymous said...

We went to Chutney Masala last night and had an excellent meal. We sat outside and enjoyed the sunset. All three of the dishes we tried were excellent, very well seasoned and well prepared. The waiters were extremely personable. While the experience was excellent, it came at a price, appetizers are between $10 and $20 and entrees, even vegetarian start at $18.